Friday, July 24, 2020

Pushed and Stretched

Learning is the thing that drives me, so I love working in a role where there are constant challenges and opportunities to improve. I approached the planning for my Cybersmart lessons at the beginning of the year with the intention of offering differentiated tasks and outcomes for students, depending on their previous experience. Last year I had noticed that the relatively high rate of teacher turnover in our cluster meant that some students were in their second or third year of having a teacher who was new to the cluster, so they had already 'done' many of the lessons previously and told me they found Cybersmart boring. Ouch! At the same time, new students enrolling through the year may have had little experience using devices for their learning, let alone creating, sharing and following the Kawa of Care.

I had noticed when Kelsey from the Uru Manuka cluster shared her planning that she had lessons for those new to Chromebooks and those who had used them before, great idea! During term 1 I used that strategy to develop my planning, which seemed to work really well, especially in a year 3/4 class where most of the year 4s were seeing me for the second year in a row. I wanted new teachers to have clear instructions for what was expected of them, and for teachers who had previously received in-class support to feel confident flying solo. Everything was ticking along fairly well and then COVID.

The challenge of taking in-class support to a remote model created the opportunity to zero in on what exactly we are trying to achieve in our role as facilitators. We want to support teachers effectively in developing their skillset and their mindset as they make the transition to teaching in a 1:1 environment and enacting the Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy. We also have responsibility for supporting the young people in our schools to understand and demonstrate what it means to be a smart learner. In addition to this we want to incorporate the fruits of knowledge that have been borne through Manaiakalani's partnership with the Woolf Fisher Research Centre; affordances and efficiencies of  digitally managed learning, t-shaped literacy and high leverage teaching practices.  Doing all of these things justice is no mean feat.

I made some changes to my planning for term 2 based on the knowledge that 'in-class support' would be happening remotely. Taking inspiration from the quality blog post rubric, I pitched lessons at 'beginner', 'stepping up' and 'confident' levels. Each lesson included rewindable content, step by step instructions and an introductory video. Mark and Sharon from Te Ara Tuhura cluster built on what I had started by incorporating UDL principles to make the lessons more accessible for all learners. I was a little confronted at first that I was being pushed to consider further elements that hadn't been included in my planning. At the same time I was excited to be bouncing ideas around with team members who had a shared purpose and brought diverse experience and perspectives.


 
Te Rito | Stepping up Lesson 1 Task board

When it came time to plan our programmes for term 3, it felt like we had organically shifted from a form of retrospective collaboration to a more proactive approach. Working together, we have created a set of five lessons each at beginner, stepping up and confident level. The expectation is that teachers who we have been working with from the start of the year will tag team by planning and leading every second lesson. Follow up lessons can reinforce or extend the previous week's learning or revisit something from earlier in the year. When planning these lessons, we tried to think about the development of our students from kākano (the seed), through te rito (the shoot) to puāwai (the blossom). By providing supports such as task boards, video and audio we hope that our young people will be empowered and engaged whatever their year level at school or experience level with the Cybersmart curriculum. Putting our planning into action this week, I was thrilled with the way students responded. It was great to see cooperation and collaboration happening, to hear discussion and negotiation and to feel the buzz of classes engaged in their learning.

Students from Room 11 at Edmund Hillary School collaborate on their Cybersmart learning.


By working together I really believe we have achieved far greater depth and quality than any of us could have achieved individually. I am certain that we have improved the learning experience for our young people, but I am also mindful of the impact on the teachers we are guiding. The amount of work that went into planning these lessons is considerable, and I worry that some teachers may be overwhelmed to think that this is the expectation for them. Can we plan less but do it better? In doing so, might we clear the way for students to take greater ownership of their learning, creating and sharing?

As always, I'm already thinking about next steps. Each of us gauges the quality and impact of our lessons when we are in the classroom, which is more difficult if the lessons we plan are in classrooms across the country at the same time. I would love to be able to 'debrief' weekly as facilitators to highlight the aspects of the lessons that have worked well and what could be improved. It would also be great to gather feedback from teachers who have taught the lessons in their own classes independently of the facilitator. I would love to hear any suggestions for how we can keep the conversation flowing, and how we can continue to enrich the learning of our teachers and students through the power of collaboration. Being pushed and stretched might feel uncomfortable in the moment but the depth and reach we gain from working together surely make it all worthwhile. 

"That's the beauty of collaboration. You get pushed and stretched to go where you'd never go otherwise."

- Licia Perea

8 comments:

  1. Kia ora Cam,
    I also love collaboration; however, as you say, it does push you out of your comfort zone and stretches you. I found planing this term took longer than the last time because I was using other peoples content and also trying to think of how we could incorporate the higher leverage practices into the lessons.
    I also am concerned by the time it takes however for myself think that this is a resource that I will be able to use for a couple of years so next year Term 2 and 3 will be faster to prepare for as only tweaks will be needed to be made. Also, these lessons are unique in terms of they can be used from Year 3 to Year 10, in a classroom setting, would you need three levels?
    For our classroom teachers, I think there is a real need to ensure any planning that utilises UDL and ideas along the lines of this Cybersmart planning are used for two to four weeks. There are lots of opportunities as a teacher to work with small groups to analyse and discuss the themes and ideas. In a school setting as the lessons are so rewindable, visible and independent is the advantage that a syndicate could plan one and then swap with another syndicate?
    For myself, the considerable time investment in planning one lesson has resulted in access to another four high-quality experiences that I did not need to plan!
    Let us keep on pushing and stretching through collaboration while keeping at the forefront how this would work for a classroom teacher.
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the word you chose, Mark. The time spent on this mahi has definitely been an investment. I guess what I have been thinking about is the multiple layers of responsibility we have as facilitators. It feels natural to me, coming from many years in the classroom to pay attention to the students' learning. I am not sure that we are in a position yet where we are planning and providing the same level of support for our teachers. One of the things I think is really great about our shared planning is that teachers are getting a broader exposure to different approaches, effectively they will have the opportunity to learn from each of us and the different twists we put on our lessons. If, as you hope, we carry these lessons forward into next year, perhaps we can then focus on developing tools and systems explicitly to support adult learning. Definitely keen to continue the stretch!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing not only the teaching resources but also the teaching design underpinning it. It is so empowering to see the collaboration and the thinking this work and the sharing on this post has engendered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Dorothy, this year has really taught me the value of working in a geographically disparate team. Exploring the possibilities together really is empowering. I'm excited to think about how our TMPO3 whānau will enrich our team and our practice in the near future.

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Cam. Great blog post! I often feel like there's something missing from Cybersmart lessons but to fit it in could be to the detriment of something else of equal importance. This was also a great remincder that I'm only exposed the teachers I work with to lessons that make sense to me. Maybe they would benefit from multiple different perspectives like yu mentioned. I penned a similar blog post
    in the holidays if you wanted to check it out. Ngā mihi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Phil, I think there is a parallel between trying to put everything into a lesson and the 'limit the links' advice from Dorothy earlier in the year. It's definitely worth pondering. I often think it would be nice to work more with small groups during cybersmart lessons to work on specific skills, do you ever do that?

      Delete
    2. I have done small groups at times, usually just when there are a number of students who have asked for specific support. I also think there's huge potential to empower the more fluent students to be leaders and teachers in the class.

      Delete
  4. Kia ora Cam, Yes I agree with previous comments great blog post. Pushed and pulled is a great way to explain learning. As part of the DFI training I have certainly appreciated you sharing your knowledge with our group. As a teacher aide I get to see the hard work that the staff put in. Thank you for sharing your post.

    ReplyDelete